Note: During the potential Canada Post mail service interruption, applications for this program will be accepted by email, courier, FAX, or hand-delivery. Business as usual (as per T&Cs and Application forms) will resume when the situation is resolved. Please watch our GF2 webpages for further information.
Changes to Terms and Conditions as of November 25, 2015 include:
- The maximum amount payable for an upgrade from a gravity or side-wheel system to a new low pressure centre pivot irrigation system changes from $5,000 to $15,000.
- Eligible producers may apply for one grant payment each fiscal year rather than once during the five-year program.
- New low pressure centre pivot systems for irrigation expansion are not eligible.
This program helps producers invest in new or upgraded low-pressure centre pivot (LPCP) irrigation equipment for their operations, improving the efficiency of energy and water use on Alberta farms.
The Growing Forward 2 Irrigation Efficiency Program addresses three key industry priorities:
- Improved farm resource stability. The program helps producers improve their energy and water usage through better irrigation equipment that increases the sustainability of water resources on their operation.
- Improved production capacity. Producers who improve their production or delivery methods ensure the long-term capacity and growth of their operation so they are better able to embrace business opportunities.
- Improved public regard. When Alberta producers demonstrate strong environmental management practices, consumers see the industry as a responsible steward of Alberta’s resources.
How are costs shared?
Producers may be reimbursed for:
- 40% of eligible costs for approved projects incurred by the applicant for equipment upgrades up to a maximum of $5000; or
- $15,000of the eligible costs incurred by the applicant for an upgrade from a gravity or side-wheel irrigation system to a new LPCP system.
Eligible projects include:
- pump modifications (end gun booster pumps or trimmed impellers) as part of an LPCP upgrade;
- upgrades of high-pressure centre pivot systems to LPCP systems;
- addition of high-efficiency sprinkler nozzles to existing LPCP equipment (with efficiency ratings of 85% or higher);
- variable-rate irrigation system components (controllers and software); and
- upgrades of centre pivot control panels.
Equipment must be new and purchased from a licensed irrigation supply dealer and installation must be performed by a licensed service provider. Costs of design and installation are eligible, while costs for delivery and GST are not.
Eligible equipment must be purchased after April 1, 2013, and must be operational within six months after an application is approved. A field inspection will be completed to verify installation of the equipment.
Who can participate?
Producers who have an irrigated agricultural operation in Alberta and have completed a Long-Term Irrigation Management Plan. Producers who are eligible to receive Irrigation Efficiency Program funding may obtain only one grant payment from this five-year program.
How do you start?
Submit an application to the program. It must include your:
- Long-Term Irrigation Management Plan,
- Invoices and receipts for all eligible costs claimed, and
- Proof of payment of at least 10% of the total eligible costs.
Please contact the Ag-Info Centre at 310-FARM (3276) to find out more about the program, or to speak with the program lead.
For more information
Phone: 310-FARM (3276)
You may also be interested in…