On-Farm Energy Management
On-Farm Energy Management
- Due to tremendous interest in this program, applications in excess of current available funding have been received and the program was suspended on Friday, December 9, 2016.
- Applications received with a post-mark date later than December 9, 2016 will be returned to sender.
- Click the orange Subscribe button on the right-hand side to receive email notification if the program resumes.
- For active applications, allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing time.
- On-Farm Solar PV Program is still open and accepting applications.
Note: If you have recently sent in an Application using the previously posted Terms & Conditions, please call at 780-427-3819.
Program purpose statement
This program shares the cost of investments that improve energy efficiency on Alberta farms. This enables producers to conserve energy and reduce carbon emissions, ultimately reducing the environmental footprint of Alberta’s agriculture industry.
The Growing Forward 2 On-Farm Energy Management Program addresses three important industry priorities.
- Increased industry competitiveness. When producers make investments that improve energy usage on their farms, the result is a more competitive, adaptable, and sustainable provincial agriculture industry.
- Improved environmental stewardship. When producers use energy more efficiently, they are recognized as reliable stewards of Alberta’s resources.
- Improved energy management. Producers who install on-farm submeters are better aware of their energy usage and how to manage it to improve their bottom line.
What has changed as of October 24, 2016?
New provincial investment enables the following changes:
- New cost share: eligible costs covered at the new rate of 70% (from 35%).
- New program maximum of $750,000 (from $50,000)
- Updated Terms & Conditions
- Updated Funding List
- New FOIP statement
- New Statement of Certification; note reporting frequency requirement
What kinds of projects are eligible?
Eligible projects include (but are not limited to):
- Construction projects that install high-efficiency equipment from the program’s Funding List
- Retrofit projects that improve the operation’s energy usage per unit of production
- Installation of submeters to monitor on-farm electricity and/or natural gas usage
- More sector-specific examples can be found in the factsheets to the right.
How are costs shared?
For most items the program covers 70% of eligible costs, to a maximum of $750,000. Some items are funded on a square-footage or formula basis. The program also covers 100% of the cost for each applicant’s first three submeters.
Not eligible are residences and buildings used primarily for non-farm activities.
Who can participate?
Producers in Alberta with a minimum of $10,000 farm commodity or livestock production income.
How do I start?
Submit an application to the On-Farm Energy Management Program complete with quotes for any equipment you are looking to purchase.
For more information
You may also be interested in …